Living in Poland

The benefits from the participation in the Erasmus Study Mobility include:


Polish cuisine is very similar to the cuisine of its neighbouring countries. The products that are usually served on Polish tables

are potatoes, cabbage, meat (pork, beef and poultry), dairy and flour products.

The most popular dishes of Polish cuisine are:

– pork chops with potatoes and cabbage

– chicken legs with potatoes

– gołąbki – minced meat wrapped in cabbage leafs

– bigos – cabbage with meat, sausage, mushrooms, dried plums and spices

– pierogi – stuffed dumplings with meat, cabbage and mushrooms, cheese or fruit

– soups: beetroot soup, cabbage soup, chicken soup, tomato soup, cucumber soup

– cakes: fruit cake, cheesecake, poppy-seed cake

– for a dessert, you should try pączki (doughnuts) and faworki

Nowadays, mainly in big cities, foreign cuisine is becoming more and more popular, eg. Italian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Turkish etc.

If you cook for yourself – 800-1200 PLN is enough for products and food per month.You can also eat at the School Canteen. Lunch is around 30 PLN.

Travelling around Poland 

In every big city in Poland, there is a Tourist Information Office where you can find information about places worth seeing. You can get maps, postcards and guides there. Usually, people working in tourist information speak two or three languages. Tourist information is often located at airports, railway stations, near main squares and streets.


The University has no student dormitories. Arriving students can usually rent a room at the dormitories of the neighboring Gdynia Maritime University. Prices vary from 450 to 700 PLN per month.


Living on your own

Living in dormitories has many advantages. Nevertheless, if you value comfort, peace, and quiet you can look for a room or a flat to rent.

Remember: it is better to rent a flat together with a couple of friends so that you share the rent.
There are sources where you can find information about lodgings for students. There is a special announcement board in the University that “mediates” between the owners of rooms/flats and students. During the whole academic year, and especially at its beginning, the room owners place their announcements on this board.


You can search for accommodation here:


Renting accomodation (an average per month)
  • room in a flat: rental 800-1000 PLN + charges* around 300-400 PLN
  • single room flat: rental 1000-1500 PLN + charges* around 400-600 PLN
  • double room flat: rental 1800-2800 PLN + charges* around 400-600 PLN
  • three room flat: rental 2800-3500 PLN + charges* around 500-700 PLN
    * energy, water, gas, heating, communal services etc.


One night in a single room costs about 150-500 PLN. Some hotels apply a special discount for students and a discount for whole weekend renting.

Every student is responsible for his or her own medical insurance. If you forget about this formality, you will have to cover all the costs of possible medical treatment, which unfortunately are relatively high.

For EU/EEA citizens:

Poland has the health care system based on general health insurance. Persons covered by the general health insurance are entitled to free health services in the territory of Poland at the health care providers who have concluded contracts with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia. The National Health Fund is the institution which is responsible for assuring health services for insured persons and members of their families).
During a temporary stay in Poland, a person entitled to health care under EEA rules can receive health services in the following areas:
– primary health care
– specialist out-patient care
– hospital treatment
– dental treatment
– rescue services and ambulance transport.

In case of necessity of providing medical care, a student from a member country staying temporarily in the territory of Poland is entitled to free health care on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or in particular cases on the
basis of a special certificate. The student is obliged to present one of these documents (it is advisable to have also a copy) together with an identity document directly to the public health care provider.
The student will receive free health services at health care providers who have concluded a relevant contract with NFZ. In case of lack of the European Health Insurance Card or equivalent document, the patient will be obliged to cover costs of
treatment by himself. The same obligation arises in case of treatment provided by a health care unit which has no contract with NFZ.
If there is a need of hospital treatment, a doctor’s referral is required. In case of sudden illness, accident, injury, intoxication,
life threat, a patient receives necessary medical benefits without referral.
A patient, who presented the European Health Insurance Card or a certificate, receives free hospital treatment within the
general health care system.

For non-EU/EEA citizens:

The students from non-EU/EEA countries should purchase health insurance in their home country, before departure. In case of the ISIC or Euro<26, insurance is included in the card and the student does not need to buy another one unless he/she
wants to increase its scope or value. Erasmus students (having so called legitymacja studencka – student’s card – issued by the host university) are usually allowed to consult doctors at academic medical care centres. Anyway, according to state
health regulations foreigners (except the EU/EEA citizens, see above) have to pay for a medical consultation. The cost is then reimbursed by the health insurance company.
Apart from academic and public medical care system there is also a well-developed private sector.

Every student who starts studying in Poland has to fulfill formalities listed below. It is advisable to do it as quickly as possible to avoid unpleasant surprises.

For EU/EEA citizens:


An EU citizen can enter Poland with his/her ID document (a valid travel document e.g. passport, or another document certifying his/her identity and citizenship).

For stay up to 3 months no legalisation of stay will be necessary. For stays exceeding 3 months, an EU citizen will have to obtain a temporary residence permit.
This document will be issued by the Department of Citizens Affairs of the City Hall in Gdynia.

Documents that have to be submitted by the student to the City Hall in Gdynia in order to obtain the residence permit:
– copy of the travel document (passport or other ID document)
– health insurance document
– official letter of acceptance from the Polish University (with information about the planned period of study)
– Application form (Wniosek o zezwolenie na pobyt, in Polish)
Institutional Erasmus Coordinator at UBA will help students to obtain the residence permit.


For non-EU/EEA citizens:

A citizen of a non-EU/EEA country can enter the territory of Poland on the basis of a valid travel document (passport) and a visa (if required). A citizen of a non-EU country has to obtain the visa from the consulate of Poland in his/her country of
residence. The short-term visa entitles to stay in Poland up to 3 months, the long-term visa – up to 1 year. The prolongation of visa in Poland is only possible in case of a force majeure or situation impossible to foresee while applying for the visa in
the consulate. The visa can be prolonged only once.
It is therefore necessary to apply for a visa in a consulate for the whole planned period of stay in Poland.
Persons who have received a visa for the whole period of stay in Poland are not obliged to apply for a residence permit for
their stay in Poland.